Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What's making me happy on Wendesday

I finally looked up the origins of that strange and evenly spaced Lorem Ipsum text that comes up every time I revert to a template in design stuff and found this:

"Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged... Lorem Ipsum comes from sections 1.10.32 and 1.10.33 of "de Finibus Bonorum et Malorum" (The Extremes of Good and Evil) by Cicero, written in 45 BC. This book is a treatise on the theory of ethics, very popular during the Renaissance."

How strange and strangely perfect. The ethics of more than 500 years ago, jumbled together in a throwaway practical whim and and now mistranslated Harold Bloom-style into the ether of my computer screen. Detritus of human thoughts and all that. Someday all that will remain of me is a Target receipt caught underneath a plastic bag and half a phrase slurred to a bartender on a cold night.

I think I'm spending too much time in InDesign... 

1 comment:

Lawrence said...

Interesting. Thanks for that insight