Thursday, April 10, 2008

A staircase of water



Left work today huddled against the sudden flurry of wet thwacking snow/rain. It was the type that plunks its way under your collar to the warmest parts of your collarbone and instinctively flicks the muscles in your neck into turtle mode. Thus huddled and struggling desperately to keep my hair from whipping across my face, I looked up and saw this.

It's stairs leading up to the parking lot flooding over with runoff from the snow melting into rain. The running water is almost two inches deep and running strangely evenly down the wide concrete steps. It reminded me a bit of a modernist fountain in an office building, except chucked upside down outside and falling into urban decay.

For some reason, the discordance of the light snow and rushing water and how the water ran evenly and thickly but very quickly struck me as absolutely lovely.



No comments: